Monday, January 19, 2015

Bengals add another quarterback to the mix

With senior Justin Arias’ career now over, Idaho State’s future at quarterback is wide open.

Set to return next season for the Bengals at quarterback is redshirt freshman-to-be Tanner Gueller and sophomores James Delacenserie and Trae Pilster.

Add another one to the mix.

Peninsula High School’s Robert Kvinsland verbally committed to Idaho State after taking his official visit in the middle of December.

“It’s a small town feel, which I liked,” Kvinsland said of Pocatello. “I like the school. I loved the football side of things. I really liked all the staff members.”

Kvinsland is a 6-foot-4, 195-pound right-handed quarterback from Gig Harbor, Washington. He was a two-year starter for the Seahawks and led Peninsula High to a district championship and a 10-2 overall record last season.

As a senior, Kvinsland threw for 2,640 yards and 28 touchdowns with seven interceptions.

“I'm a pocket passer. I like to stand in the pocket and read the defense, make the right reads,” Kvinsland said. “I'd like to say I’m a smart player. I like to take what the defense gives me.”

And that’s one reason Kvinsland believes he’s a perfect fit for Idaho State, which runs a spread offense that works best with a quarterback who makes calls at the line of scrimmage and decides quickly between run and pass options.

Idaho State offered Kvinsland a full scholarship. He also had spoken with Portland State and Central Washington.

After committing to the Bengals, though, Kvinsland says he shut down his recruitment. He was happy with ISU, especially now that head coach Mike Kramer and his staff have the program on the upturn following an 8-4 record in 2014.

“It's a better team now. Idaho state is about to become the best team in the Big Sky in my opinion,” Kvinsland said. “The program is great. It’s something I want to be a part of. I want to be a part of this whole turnaround.”

A major reason Kvinsland says he committed to the Bengals is Kramer, whose new three-year extension with Idaho State was approved by the State Board of Education in December.

“I really like him,” Kvinsland said. “He made a big emphasis that he has no plans to leave. It's where he wants to be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment