Thursday, October 17, 2013

Idaho State vs. Sacramento State postgame blog

Idaho State 2, Sacramento State 1


For a full game recap, click here.

Star of the game: Amanda Ellsworth. Here’s one guarantee. Any time a player breaks the career goal mark for a program, they’ll slide in as my star of the match.

Ellsworth scored twice and she now leads Idaho State with seven goals this season. More importantly, Ellsworth has four goals in the Bengals last four games.

In the game recap, you can find head coach Allison Gibson’s comments on Ellsworth and her accomplishments. Here’s the fully transcribed audio from Gibson on Ellsworth after the 2-1 victory.

“I’ve said it for three years now. She’s just such a competitor. You can see it written all over her face. You can see it in her warmups and you can see it in the way she plays. So I think it (Ellsworth breaking the record) was definitely going to happen. The fact that it happened this early in her career I think is phenomenal. I think she’ll continue to pack on the numbers. Stacy’s was 10 years, so I think this’ll be set in stone for quite awhile.”

When you recruited Ellsworth did you think she’d have this much success?

“I saw some flashes in her. I saw her in a college camp and she scored some goals there. I thought she would be more of a player that we would have to develop at this level. But the things you don’t always see when you’re recruiting is just that fire on the inside and what the locker room looks like. That kind of stuff. That was a huge surprise for me and obviously a very good surprise just to see her intensity level and her ability to compete day in and day out in training and demand the best of herself and the players around her. That’s what makes great players. It’s just that they’re at that level all the time. ‘Oh, I wonder if she’ll be on today?’ She doesn’t have that.

“It’s like (ISU goalkeeper) Sheridan (Hapsic). They don’t have that. What you see is what you get. In a good way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment