Thursday, June 20, 2013

In her own words: ISU's Galasso heads to China to play softball

Vicky Galasso, an in-coming junior catcher for Idaho State's softball team, will play softball in China this summer for Athletes in Action. She's keeping a blog of sorts as part of her experience.

So in her own words ...
 
Greetings from the Great Wall!

As I embark on this journey I begin to reflect on my season, our successes as a team and the hope for the future of next year's team. I wanted to go on this trip to not only better myself physically but spiritually as well, and try to make a lasting impact on a rarely-reached nation overseas.

Athletes in action is a Christian sports ministry sponsoring the trip, and I had to fund raise myself about $4,000 just to be able to go. So THANK YOU to everyone up front for their prayers and support. I really appreciate it.

Our training camp before this trip consisted of two-a-day practices, along with an immense amount of cultural training. ... Which, to say the least, has been nothing but interesting. For example, I have been warned to do some stretching and keep my quads in shape because people over there have to do their business in either a troth or a hole in the ground (rightly nicknamed a "squatty potty"). Also, some delicious items on the menu may be chicken feet, dog and sea cucumber. I did hear, however, that they serve watermelon for dessert, which I will greatly appreciate! I am trying to become a part of the "100 percent club" which is where you have to try EVERYTHING you come in contact with over there. Needless to say I brought a gallon Baggie full of tums, ibuprofen and probiotics.

While we are over there, we will be playing about one game a day for 20 days straight, getting the provincial teams ready for their China ational games in August. Kind of like we have different states here in the U.S,, China has different teams representing each province there, with a mix of Olympians on each team ... just some gold medalist ladies! I have been told they have gold stars on their cleats, so they are easily recognized.

All I can say is that I have the perfect combination of nerves and excitement for this journey! I will come back with some new friends, new stories, and new memories to share with everyone, along with some broken Chinese phrases. I will represent ISU with some pride!

No comments:

Post a Comment