Thursday, June 20, 2013

In her own words: Dela Cruz writes about experiences with Philippine National Team

Maria Dela Cruz, a junior goalkeeper for Idaho State soccer, played for the Philippine National Team as part of the 2014 Asian Cup Qualifiers. For more information on that, click here and here.

Now some comments on her trip in her own words.


Where do I even begin? This whole journey has been life changing. I can honestly say it was the most amazing experience I have ever been through. I have learned so much in the past month than I could have ever imagined. There were many different encounters I went through that have shifted my perspective about life in a third world country. Though I have been to the Philippines countless times, observing the poverty there compared to the poverty in Bangladesh was entirely different. I did not expect Bangladesh to be such a run-down country, with traffic and pollution flooding the streets, disintegrating buildings everywhere you looked and unearthly smells that were foreign to me. The people that worked for FIFA, assisting us throughout the journey, were incredibly kind. They were always concerned about our well-being, which was reassuring to a team that had never been in such a country.

Coming into the first practice, I was extremely nervous and had no idea what to expect. A few practices in, I found myself constantly laughing and talking among these girls that I had barely even known. Having similar backgrounds, we found out that we all had many things in common, which allowed us to become even closer. As the weeks went on, I felt like I had known these girls for many years, it was so comfortable being around them. The team was unlike any other team I had been on. Every single girl had a positive attitude, they all were amazing soccer players and overall they were just genuine people. The coaching staff was very professional (as expected) and demanded exactly what they needed from their players.

After our first win against Iran, we felt like we were on top of the world. We knew we had made not only our families proud, but we made an entire country proud. That feeling brings chills to me whenever I think about it. The game against Thailand was unfortunately a different story.

The outcome was not as we had hoped for, but seeing they were ranked 54 places above us losing by a lone goal gave this young team hope for the future. Our last game was against the host team, Bangladesh. We had come back with a vengeance after the Thailand game and successfully placed four goals in the back of the net to their zero. All in all, I am extremely proud of what we have accomplished in such a short amount of time together. The future of this team is bright, we can only go up from here. Go Malditas!

No comments:

Post a Comment